Saturday, August 20, 2011

20 Aug 11 (Sat) - Red Ruby Dessert [Thap Thim Krawp] (红宝石甜品)

Had some pearl sago left previously but didn't want to do the usual sago dessert so searched for new recipe. Found one on a thai dessert called red ruby dessert that make use of tapioca flour, water chestnuts and coconut milk. And since pearl sago is actually made from tapioca so decided to just grind the pearl sago into powder using a food processor and use it as a replacement to tapioca flour. The process of converting the pearl sago to powder form wasn't easy. Took me one over hours and I didn't manage to get it to be as fine as flour.

Didn't know the exact amount of the DIY tapioca flour and so couldn't estimate the amount of water chestnuts to use accurately. Started with just five water chestnuts but then later realised that I could add more and so added a couple more and then another few till I lost count. I could have used about 10 to 12 water chestnuts in the end.

As I was in the process of coating the water chestnuts with the tapioca flour, I realised that it is very important to get them coated in the first round coz the subsequent rounds would make the flour lumpy and difficult to stick to the water chestnuts. After coating all of the water chestnuts with tapioca flour, I set a pot of water to boil and then put the coated water chestnuts into the boiling water. Scooped them out after they floated and put them into a bowl of cold water to cool.

Some of the coating came off and left the water chestnuts exposed. Then went on to make some sugar syrup and added it to the coconut milk. Poured in the cooked water chestnuts, mixed them well and put into the fridge to chill. My sis said it was rather good while my BIL and his dad shared the rest of the dessert after their dinner. I, on the other hand, felt that the rubies were not as chewy as those sold in the dessert stalls.


Uncook coated water chestnuts


Red ruby dessert

Cooked water chestnuts


Red ruby dessert - close up

No comments: