Sunday, July 25, 2010

25 Jul 10 (Sun) - Sweet & Sour Fish

Spent the weekend at my sis’s place. She told me that her boy, Ry, was mentioning to her that he wanted to eat the fish dish that I cooked during one of the CNY lunches. Was surprised that he requested for it out of the blue. So asked my sis whether she prefers my version, which is the Fried Fish with Orange Sauce or the usual Sweet & Sour Fish. She asked for the latter and so cooked that with some modification.

Instead of the normal flour with egg as the batter, I used the leftover of my tempura flour as the batter to fry the fish and it turned out better than I thought. Then came the sauce, as the amount of fish that my BIL had prepared was more than I had expected and so I had to re-estimate the sauce to make. Initially the sauce was very watery, I was so worried and stressed coz my sis’s PIL were already over to her house waiting for dinner and her SIL was looking at my cooking. Frankly speaking, I don’t like people watching me when I cook, I feel very stressful while cooking. Fortunately, the sauce started to thicken to correct texture after adding the corn flour. The dish turned out pretty well and I was so glad.

Sweet &Sour Fish
(Fish, Capsicum, Tomato, Pineapple, Chili, Tempura Flour, Tomato Sauce and Vinegar)

Ingredients A:
500g fish fillet – sliced
1 capsicum – deseed and cut to bite size
2 small tomatoes – cut to quarter size each
1 big chili – deseed and sliced
1 stalk spring onion – cut to pinky finger length
1 piece pineapple
Tempura flour
Corn flour
Hua Tiao wine
Salt and Pepper

Ingredients B (Sauce):
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp oil

Method:
1.  Marinate sliced fish with Hua Tiao wine, salt and pepper for 20min
2.  Mix 120g tempura flour with 200ml water to make batter
3.  Heat up the wok with enough oil for shallow frying
4.  Coat the sliced fish with tempura batter and fried them till golden
5.  Heat up the wok with oil for the sauce
6.  Add all the ingredients for the sauce into the wok
7.  Add in capsicum first and bring to boil
8.  Add in the rest of the ingredients and boil for 3mins
9.  Scoop up some sauce to make corn starch and pour back in to thicken the sauce
10. Drizzle sauce over fish and top with spring onion

No comments: