Saturday, March 26, 2011

26 Mar 11 (Sat) - Chocolate Cake with Purple Cream Cheese Frosting

At my sis's place again. Didn't follow her to Giant supermarket so that I can have the whole morning alone in her house to try baking before the final event on Monday. Followed back my cupcake recipe without changing anything this time and then baked it at 160 degree celcius for about 25 minutes.

Again the top peak and cracked slightly. I also noticed that the last round and this round, the side of the cakes seem to shrunk from the side of the tin and sunk a little. Read the instruction manual of the steam oven and one of the baking tips was not to grease the side of the cake tin if the side shrunk and sunk. Perhaps I should just grease the base of the cake tin next time.

Took the cake out to cool and then cut away the top of the cake that had peaked. Then went on to do the cream cheese frosting and frost the cake. Inverted the cake tin to use it as a stand so that I could frost the cake. In my haste, I had forgotten to clear the crumbs before I frost and also forgot that I should frost the side first before the top.

This was the first time that I'm doing cream cheese cake frosting and it was much harder than I thought. My hands weren't steady enough and so the frosting wasn't as smooth as I had expected. After I had finished frosting, sprinkled some colored rice crisp over the top of the cake. Took some photos and put it in the fridge. Read somewhere that it will be easier to frost the cake if the cream cheese frosting is chilled. Perhaps can try that on Monday.

Scraped the remaining frosting off the mixing bowl and spreaded onto the top of the part of the cake that I had cut earlier on and ate it. Didn't taste that bad. From today experience, I can see two options. Either I do the same as what I have done today but do twice the amount on Monday; or I can use the cake mix that I bought last week. Still have about one and a half day to decide.

Before frosting - Top view


After frosting - Top view


Before frosting - Side view

After frosting - Side view

A piece of the cake

Ingredients (Cake):
50g butter - soften
50g castor sugar
59g self-rising flour
1 eggs
15ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp cocoa power

Method:
1.  Pre-heat the oven to 160 degree celsius
2.  Grease one 4cm deep x 12cm wide round cake tin
3.  Place all the ingredients in a large bowl
4.  Beat with an electric mixer for 2 mins till smooth
5.  Pour cake batter into prepared cake tin
6.  Bake for 25mins until risen and firm to touch
7.  Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool

Ingredients (Cream cheese frosting):
10g butter - soften
27g cream cheese - soften
57g icing sugar
1 drop of blue food coloring
2 drops of red food coloring

Method:
1.  Beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar and food coloring with an electric mixer till smooth

No comments: