Sunday, September 11, 2011

11 Sep 11 (Sun) - Colorful Rice Balls in Sugar Syrup (缤纷汤圆)

Had some glutinous rice flour left from my recent attempt at making song pyeon and since it is going to be Mid-Autumn Festival tomorrow in Singapore and Chuseok in Korea so decided to make colorful rice balls for my elder niece, younger niece and nephew. Again didn't follow any particular recipe but just measured four portions of 25g of glutinous rice flour.

Started with one portion without any coloring then followed with the second portion using the red food coloring and then the third portion using the blue food coloring. When I was about to start on the fourth portion, my elder niece came to the kitchen so let her try making the dough. Helped her mixed the purple color using both the red and blue food coloring and dissolved sugar into the mixture.

The purple color didn't turn out to be as solid as the other two colors, maybe I should make the purple color sugar solution darker next time. After we were done making the rice balls, told M to make the sugar syrup using sugar, water and pandan leaves. Then after the sugar syrup was boiling, we put the rice balls in and after they floated, we turned off the fire and left it aside for a while.

Scooped some to take photos and then gave to my nephew to eat while my elder niece, M, also scooped some for herself. Then my younger niece scooped quite a fair bit for herself to eat. After we were done, went out to Novena with M to collect her long awaited U-Kiss album "Neverland".

Rice balls before cooking

Rice balls after cooking

Wanted to eat tteokbokki from Hankook Rice Cake House in Novena Square 2 but because it's Chuseok the next day and so they did not have that so instead I bought a box of gul tteok (also known as honey tteok). The guy who sold us the gul tteok was rather cute, he said a lot of things after he gotten the box out from the display but I didn't understand a word. It was after we left then M translated them for me and the guy was simply explaining to us what was inside gul tteok and what it's called.

Gul Tteok from Hankook Rice Cake House 

Then we headed to Baskin-Robbins at Novena Square for ice-cream coz it reminded us of our Korea trip last year. M chose Raspberry Cheese Louise while I chose Chocolate Trilogy and we enjoyed our ice-cream there. Overall, I had a wonderful day with M and I treasured the time spent with her.

Chocolate Trilogy and Raspberry Cheese Louise

Note: Gul tteok and Baskin-Robbins ice-cream photos compliment from M

No comments: