Sunday, September 16, 2012

16 Sep 12 (Sun) - Swedish Meatballs in MacDonald's Curry Sauce and Reduced-fat & Calorie Coleslaw

Once in a while I will crave for the IKEA's meatballs and then I will have to make a trip to the Alexandra IKEA just to satisfy the craving. Have been curious about how to go about cooking these meatballs and hence prompted me to google for the recipe. Found one by IKEA Hackers and decided to give it a try. A couple of the ingredients were giving me headaches, such as the rusk flour and white flour.

After some research, I decided to substitute rusk flour with panko and white flour with corn flour. A visit to a colleague's workstation last Friday and saw stacks of MacDonald's curry sauce, she offered them to me saying that they will go to the bin when they expire so why not I take them and see if I have any use for them. Then the picture of the Meatball in Japanese Curry Sauce by Mmmm! Meats Marinates & Much More came to mind. Excellent! I don't have to cook the cream sauce then.

Got up early to start the cooking and what should be a short preparation time became unexpectedly long due to a stubborn potato that simply refuse to get much softer after boiling it for so long. In the end, my mash potatoes contained a few big pieces of potatoes.

Then instead of the 250g minced beef and 250g minced pork that the recipe called for, I only had 200g each. Added 200ml milk and water to the mixture and turned out that the mixture was a bit too wet such that I had problem shaping the mixture into round balls. When I was frying them, instead of being round shape, they became slightly flat.

After I was done frying the meatballs, opened three packs of the MacDonald's curry sauce, added a bit of water to dilute it so that it would not be too thick and then popped a few meatballs into the sauce. The result wasn't too bad but could have been better if I had added less milk and water. 


Swedish Meatballs +

MacDonald's Curry Sauce =

Swedish Meatballs in MacDonald's Curry Sauce

Then found a quarter of a round cabbage and a few baby carrots in the fridge and decided to make the coleslaw found in Dr. Oz's website with a couple of modifications such as omitting buttermilk and white vinegar since I don't have those.

Ingredients:
1/4 round cabbage, finely minced
1/2 big onion, finely minced
6 baby carrots, finely minced
1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp white sugar
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp salt
a dash of ground black pepper
a dash of lemon juice

Method:
1.  Combine mayonnaise, milk, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl
2.  Whisk them well and until sugar dissolved
3.  Add cabbage, carrot and onion to the mixture and toss well
4.  Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving or chill overnight for better result

No comments: