Saturday, January 1, 2011

1 Jan 11 (Sat - New Year's Day) - Steamed Milk Custard (炖奶)

Happy New Year Everyone! It's the first day of 2011. Woke up early to start the day off with cooking! Since I needed milk to eat my cornflakes, so measured some milk to try out the steamed egg custard (炖蛋) and steamed milk custard (炖奶) again.

This time round I used one egg for both desserts, the egg white for the milk custard (炖奶) and the egg yolk for the egg custard (炖蛋). Warmed both bowls of milk, then added egg white to one bowl and egg yolk to the other. Added sugar to both and beat both the mixture lightly. After that used a spoon to remove the foam from both the mixture.

Since I still didn't have alumimium foil so used cling wrap for both bowls and this time, I used the microwave method instead of the conventional steaming method as stated in one of the steamed egg custard recipes. Was contemplating if I should used the microwave method on the steamed milk custard and the lazy side of me got the better. Therefore, placed both bowls and a cup of water in the microwave oven. Turned the microwave oven on medium heat and set for 5mins.

After it was done, checked on the mixture and they seemed to be still watery. Hence, put them back in and set to cook for another 5mins. This time round, the egg custard (炖蛋) didn't set very well while the top portion of the milk custard (炖奶) was a bit hard although the inner portion was about just right. I guess the steamed egg custard (炖蛋) cannot do without egg white as well since I think it is an important ingredient to make the dessert set properly.

As for the milk custard (炖奶), I guess I should have either steam it using the conventional method or should have just set it to cook for another 2mins instead of 5mins and on top of that, I should have whisked the egg white first before adding the milk to it. Nevertheless, placed the steamed milk custard (炖奶) in the fridge and ate it chilled after lunch. It was refreshing on a hot day.

Well... you know what they said about "Failure is the mother of success", next time I will get both of them right.

Steamed Milk Custard (炖奶)

Ingredients:
1 egg white
140ml milk
1/2 tbsp sugar

Method:
1.  Warm the milk in the microwave but do not boil it
2.  Add in the egg white, sugar and mix well
3.  Cover with cling wrap and placed in the microwave oven with a cup of water
4.  Turn the microwave oven to medium heat and set for 7mins
5.  Serve hot or chilled

No comments: