Sunday, March 11, 2012

11 Mar 12 (Sun) - Icewine Ice Cream

The bottle of Inniskillin icewine in my fridge was almost two year old so thought I had better find some ways to make use of it since I know I wouldn't be able to finish it just by drinking. Found a recipe in the Inniskillin website and it was called Icewine Marinated Pork Medallions with Corn Crusted Onion Rings. The recipe only made used of 60ml of the icewine hence I needed another recipe to use up the rest. Recalled that I once found a sweet wine ice cream recipe and so decided to make that too. In total, the two recipes would use up 160ml of the icewine and I just needed to finish up the balance 40ml.

Thought I would be able to adapt the first recipe to be cooked using the Happycall Pan. I was way over my head and it turned out to be a failure. First of all, I used fresh chilli instead of the dried ones called for so the paste turned out to be watery and didn't cling to the pork. Second, the pork I used was thin slices and yet I left the pork to cook in the pan for 5 minutes each side. In the end, the result was tough and not much taste pork slices.

Was kind of disheartening after seeing the failure. Next, I went on to do the ice cream. That didn't turn out so bad and I served it with the balance of the canned peaches I had in the fridge.

                     
                      Inniskillin Icewine
 Bulla Pure Cream

Icewine Ice Cream

Ingredients:
105ml icewine
200ml pure cream
2 rounded tbsp castor sugar

Method:
1.  Pour icewine and sugar into a bowl and whisk together
2.  Gradually whisk in the cream until it starts to thicken
3.  Pour the mixture into a container of your choice and freeze until firm

The ice cream can also be made using other sweet wine.

Recipe submitted to Munch Ministry

No comments: