Sunday, March 19, 2017

19 Mar 17 (Sun) - Durian Fried Rice

I was told that the durian season started couple of weeks ago and my sis's family was feasting on durian that couple of weeks ago. Recently she sent me a link to this recipe called "Durian Fried Rice" by Ellena Guan of Cuisine Paradise. My first reaction was "Whut?!" and then didn't think much about it because I was busy at work. Last Friday was messaging her about my intention to get some durian from the stall near my house the next day and she resent me that link to the "Durian Fried Rice" recipe again.

Well, she managed to perk my interest. So clicked on the link to read the blog post and the recipe. Looked simple enough. Wrote the recipe on a piece of paper and listed the ingredients to buy on Saturday. Followed the recipe as close as I can but the end result was far from the picture I saw on the blog post. The picture showed the dish to be on the drier side and grains of rice didn't seem to be sticking together.


I can only think of two reasons why mine looks gooey:
1.   The rice was a bit soggy to begin with.
2.   I used too much durian. (I remember 3 seeds of durian but forgot should be 80g)


Tastewise... To be honest, I can't accept it totally. Perhaps with some adjustments such as reducing the amount of durian use and the addition of salt to make it more savoury, I may change my opinion of the dish.

In short, I still prefer to eat my durian fresh and whole. Heh.

No comments: